Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nan's Peanut Brownies


Peanut Brownies: another of my Nan's old recipes. I say old because A) it's another childhood favourite, B) my grandmother used pounds and ounces and all those archaic measurements despite living in the 21st century, so I had to do a haphazard conversion (not sure whether it worked for me) and C) it includes shreddo. Does anyone bake with shreddo anymore? I'm such a baking novice I really have no clue.

Verdict: the RECIPE is amazing, we devoured these things as kids, however I think that winging the metric conversion was not the best idea. The texture was not what it should be, from memory. I'll stick the old measurements in here (easy for you Americans) and suggest that any Kiwi reading use an internet conversion site to get the recipe just right--it's worth it. I'll have to try again I think.

Extra baking tip: Spoon the mixture on to the tray in lumps and don't press them flat. I did. They all spread into one another and I had to break up chunks of biscuit like peanut brittle. They looked a little rustic compared to Nan's perfect cookie bundles. :)

Nan's Peanut Brownies

1 lb peanuts
1 dessert spoon cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
3 oz butter
1/2 oz shreddo
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 small cup sugar
vanilla essence (a few drops)

Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla essence, then dry ingredients. Bake at 350F for 20 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment