Sunday, July 18, 2010

Taco Soup and Corn Bread


I added an old favourite to the mix this week. My husband had been craving Taco Soup (a recipe given to me by my auntie) which I've enjoyed many times but never actually cooked myself.

Verdict: SO EASY (didn't realize quite how easy--a zillion cans of things mixed together an heated, really) and a bit of an all-round winter winner. Yum.

Husband's craving: satisfied.

I thought I'd combine it with a corn bread recipe I added to my scrap book a year or so ago. I'd been reading a book set in Georgia at the time, full of descriptions of s
outhern food. The book made me hunt this recipe down. It's a bit of a winner also.

Taco Soup

750g mince
2 red onions, chopped
2 tin corn in brine
2 tins whole tomatoes
2 tins kidney beans
1 large tin tomato puree
1 packet taco soup seasoning (I used chilli con carne)

Brown mince and onions. Add remaining ingredients and cook slowly for approx 1.5hrs. Serve with sour cream, corn bread and green beans.

Corn Bread

2 cups cornmeal (strangely, the only place I can find it in Auckland is Countdown Greenlane)
1/2 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter
2 cups corn kernels
1/4 oil for the pan/skillet

Preheat oven to very hot, pour oil on to skillet and allow it to heat up in oven, remove and pour off the oil. Mix dry ingredients then stir in wet. Mix in corn kernels. Reduce oven temp slightly and bake until golden.

3 comments:

  1. You are my corn baking heroine!!!!!! So excited to get this recipe...it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this up at the beach the other night...yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stealing this for this Thanksgiving at Kat's, this weekend!

    ReplyDelete